I love Ina Garten. She really is a kitchen goddess. Her Roasted Tomato Caprese Salad changed my life, at least for a meal. This is my take on her recipe.
- 12 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeds (not cores) removed
- 1/4 cup good olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1-1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 ounces fresh salted mozzarella
- fresh basil leaves, julienned- I use 2 oz, which is a lot
- box of arugula or your fave green
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. This is where Ina and I diverge. She does low and slow, but I just didn’t have time for that.
- Arrange the tomatoes on a sheet pan covered in foil, cut sides up, in a single layer. Drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Spread chopped garlic evenly over tomatoes. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Roast for 1 hourish until the tomatoes begin to caramelize. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Cut the mozzarella into 1/4 slices. Layer the tomatoes alternately with the mozzarella on a platter and scatter the basil on top.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Mound about a 1/4 cup arugula on plate and spoon some caprese on top.
It will be warm. It will be yummy.